S. Dwight Stephens
Admitted in New York, Connecticut and the District of Columbia, clients have been asking Dwight to handle high exposure claims with complex factual and legal issues for nearly 30 years.
Given that the great majority of insurance coverage actions are resolved in the lower court or on appeal based on the parties' legal papers, good clear legal writing has been the key to Dwight's success. A former Research & Writing Editor of the Pace Law Review, Dwight is a gifted writer with a knack for preparing tightly organized, persuasive briefs.
Simplifying the complicated and providing concise, clear and direct answers to client requests for coverage opinions is another part of Dwight's practice-one that is greatly appreciated by M&A's busy claim representative clients. Clients look to Dwight for creative, yet practical, solutions to a broad range of insurance coverage problems and advice in the early stages of a claim as to the chances of success and the costs and benefits of litigation. Dwight also authors the firm's client Coverage Newsletter.
Before attending law school, Dwight was the third generation to join the family insurance broker business where his representation of commercial clients for seven years gave him insights into the underwriting and claim handling side of the insurance business that he draws on to this day. His early experience in the insurance industry made it a natural transition for him to join the insurance coverage and appellate practice groups in the predecessor firm to M&A.
Current Employment Position
- Of Counsel
- Defense Research Institute (Insurance Law and Appellate Advocacy Committees)
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- The District of Columbia Bar
- Insurance Coverage
- New York, 1986
- Connecticut, 1986
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- Pace University School of Law, White Plains, New York
- J.D. - 1985
- Dickinson College
- B.A. - 1975
- New York Metro Super Lawyers (Insurance Coverage)